Looking for a guilt-free way to satisfy your Tex-Mex cravings? Taco Stuffed Summer Squash Boats are exactly what you need then! It’s a mouthwatering way to squeeze more nutrients into your day and guaranteed to put a smile on anyone’s face — including those who can’t stand “healthy” food.
It’s low-carb, incredibly juicy and FULL of delicious Tex-Mex flavor. Home cooks are obsessed with this recipe, and it’s easy to see why! Taco Stuffed Summer Squash Boats are simple yet remarkably satisfying. It’s seriously mind-blowing how filling they are! Picky eaters will completely forget they’re eating a fruit — and yes, squash is a fruit!
The directions are easy to follow and there are no complicated ingredients. If you’re feeling extra ambitious, you can use your own taco seasoning instead. However, this recipe by Smile Sandwich is so convenient AND delicious most home cooks prefer to follow it precisely!
“I had this tonight and it was amazing! I will definitely be adding this to my list of monthly recipes! Thanks for sharing!” – Molly
- 4 medium summer squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (or homemade mix)
- 1/2 small onion, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped fine
- 4 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions or cilantro, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds of the squash, reserving 3/4 cup and storing the rest for later use.
- Place the squash in the boiling water for 1 minute, then place on a paper towel to drain.
- Spoon 1/4 cup salsa into the bottom of a large baking dish and arrange squash face up. Set aside.
- Brown turkey in a large skillet until no longer pink. Add seasoning, onion, pepper, 3/4 cup reserved chopped squash, tomato sauce, and water and stir to combine. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Fill each squash boat with the turkey mixture, then top with cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes or until squash is soft and cheese is melted. Garnish and serve with salsa.
Recipe and photos by Smile Sandwich.
Looking for an easy and delicious appetizer to pair it with? Try our Chipotle Inspired Guac:
SHARE THIS ARTICLE SO YOU’LL REMEMBER TO MAKE THESE BAD BOYS SOON!