When it comes to sandwiches, Philly Cheesesteaks are a bonafide legend. That thinly sliced, sauteed rib eye beef and melted cheese on a long, flavorful roll is simply irresistible!
However, very few restaurants give the iconic sandwich the respect it deserves. Philly Cheesesteak fans are on a constant quest for a delicious and convenient solution.
After years of searching for a way to satisfy my Philly Cheesesteak cravings, I finally found the winner. Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches are scrumptious AND hassle-free!
So who invented the legendary Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich? According to Philadelphia’s official tourism site, a hot dog vendor in south Philadelphia named Pat Olivieri invented it in the 1930s.
Hundreds of thousands of Facebook users around the world have shared this Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches recipe — and they can’t stop praising it. When you take your first bite, you’ll see why home cooks make this recipe more than once a week. Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches will satisfy the pickiest of eaters, making it the ultimate family-friendly dish.
Common toppings for Philly Cheesesteaks include fried onions, hot or sweet peppers, sautéed mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, and ketchup — so get creative!
Here’s how to make Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches:
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds beef round steak
- 2 green peppers, sliced thin
- 2 onions, sliced thin
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 envelope dry Italian dressing mix
- 1 to 2 large loaves French bread, sliced into sandwich lengths or 6 to 8 hoagie buns
- Provolone cheese slices
- Spray crock pot with non-stick cooking spray or use a slow cooker liner. Cut meat into thin strips, place in slow cooker. Add green pepper, onion, stock, garlic salt, pepper and dressing mix. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours.
- Spoon meat mixture onto toasted buns, top with cheese. You can then put the sandwiches on a baking sheet and bake an additional few minutes to melt the cheese and toast the sandwich. Customize with toppings of your choice.